lundi 14 janvier 2019

Problem transferring OS 10.11 files/folders from old MBp to 2017 MBa

Now that I know the new 2017 MacBook Air will run El Capitan, I thought transferring everything from the old Mac to the new Mac would be easy and straight forward.

First problem I ran into was that there doesn't seem to be any way to link the two using hardware.
The old Mac has FW800 and USB 2.0 ports, the 2017 has only USB 3.0 ports.
There are no adapters/cables from FW400/800 to USB 3.0 as far as I know - at least not anything reasonably priced, and although USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0, the transfer doing it that way would run at USB 2.0 speeds and take forever,
The other option is via WiFi - I tried that years ago but the transfer was so slow that I gave up at that time.
However, lucky for me there was another way!
One of my backup drives had both FW800 and USB 3.0 ports, so I backed up the current old Mac using FW800 and then decided to use the USB 3.0 port on that backup to clone the backup to the new 2017 Mac.
Well, that did not work.
I could boot up with the 2017 Mac on the external connected via USB 3.0 but when I launched SuperDuper I got a message that I needed to mount the HD (on the 2017 Mac) but swhen I tried to do that via Disk Utility, the mount icon was dimmed out.
I could do everything else on the SSD drive on the 2017 Mac, but not mount it and I therefore could not just clone to the 2017 drive.
Normally with SD I would just select the drive I want to clone to, SD would erase any info on that drive and then copy to that drive.
I don't know why that was not possible - should have worked the way it always did.
Anyone have any ideas?

So now the plan is as follows:
1. Use Migration Assistant to move all the files/folders from the ElCapitan backup on my external via USB 3.0 to the 2017 MBa running 10.13. That is in progress now.
2. Use SD to make a backup of the 2017 MBa with all the folder/files to a USB 3.0 portable
3. Erase the drive on the 2017 MBa, (or maybe just run SD again and see if SD will see the 2017 drive)
4. Use SD to clone the ElCapitan backup from the external to the 2017 internal drive.

What I want to end up with is essentially just a hardware change from the old Mac to the new one - running exactly the same software and having all the applications available that I had on the old Mac.


via ehMac.ca http://bit.ly/2VU2FNK

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire