mardi 14 août 2018

guest network causing wifi interference?

I have an Airport Extreme for my wifi at work, it is not the latest model, maybe 5 or 6 years old, the slim white one. Anyways for a while I have been having network drops or just really slow internet (60mb connection). I would restart the modem (rogers) thinking it was maybe a Rogers issue as there is a lot of construction going on here the last few years. Would also restart the extreme. I would immediately get faster internet but then it would slowly slow down again, pages like ehmac loading really slow.

Anyways today I had this idea that maybe something was interfering with the wifi network. Did a google search and found a free app called "NetSpot". It scanned the network (using the free version) and it showed me the guest network I had running was using the same channel as the regular wifi. Not sure if this is normal or not I decided to turn off the guest network, it is not really any thing crucial and hardly used. Well as soon as I did that everything is loading faster, have not had my connection drop or slow to the point that I felt I needed to restart everything again. So it seems the guest network was conflicting somehow with the main network. This seems very strange to me as it is a guest network coming from the Apple Extreme, so would it not know to use a different channel or to do whatever is needed to not interfere with the other wifi band? Had this network running for years with no problem, is this maybe a sign of a hardware issue and it is showing by the guest network causing issues for my main network?

Airport is updated.


via ehMac.ca https://ift.tt/2MkWsZx

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire