jeudi 30 janvier 2020

iMac problem - looking for guidance/ideas

My (93 year-old) Dad's iMac has suddenly stopped going out to the internet. I suspect that some System file has been corrupted.

It is a 2012 iMac, 2TB internal, 4GB RAM, running El Capitan (10.11.6) - I believe that's the last OS that will run on this hardware.

The network setting in the System Prefs shows that ethernet (wired) and WiFi are working fine. I tried FaceTime from my phone and it rang on the computer - which tells me that the basic connectivity appears OK.

However, apps that need the internet, just don't work. Browsers, SpeedTest, FaceTime calls out, Skype, WhatsApp - all don't work.

I tried switching users but got the same result - apps that need to go out to the internet just don't work.

I tried using my (USB stick with) El Capitan installer (to reinstall the OS) but I think the certificate has expired so the error message said to re-download the installer. I went to my computer to do that but the .dmg file gives an error ("Invalid checksum").

I went to OSXDaily (found via search) and followed the link to re-download the installer only to end up with an error (apparently from Apple) that the download is not available in Canada.

So I'm stuck and wondering if anyone has some ideas/suggestions on how I can get my Dad back online. At his age, he really looks forward to checking his email and WhatsApping family around the world - so there is some urgency to my request.

Grateful for any help ... thank you very much.


via ehMac.ca https://ift.tt/2uIUyuA

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire