vendredi 12 août 2016

CRA Scam and Itunes...

I'm working out of town and call home. My wife informs me that my son, a student, and herself, fell for a scam, a call supposedly from Revenue Canada, saying that if taxes that were in arrears were not paid, the cops were to come around soon to throw (you) in jail.
Turns out my son does owe some income tax but has been making regular monthly payments. He called the number left with the message and was threatened again. He panicked, told his mum he didn't want to jail, that she had to help him. The scheme works on fear, urgency and threats.
Payment could be made now, my son was told, by buying Itunes cards and giving them the number over the phone.
I know it doesn't make any sense but it seems a lot of people are falling for this, obviously because they are scared and can't think straight.

The amount forked over would have bought a couple of nice MBPros.
As soon as they made the payment, my son came to his senses and checked on-line to find that yes, it is a scam...

Anyhow, what's done is done.
I'm wondering how the crooks use Itunes credits to get cash? Also, if the amount of Itunes card numbers cashed in by anyone individual is continuously high, shouldn't Apple get suspicious that there's a scam happening, especially since this has been going on in the States as well for some times?


via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/2bpERPb

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire