mardi 18 décembre 2018

In the holiday spirit

Sitting in front of the tube... well... not a tube anymore, is it? Somehow "sitting in front of the flat panel" doesn't have the same ring to it...

In any case... visiting with my folks, and "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas" comes on, so my son is called in to watch it (and likes it). My childhood memories are triggered - I remembered every twitch of the animated lip, lift of the brow, etc., of the Grinch and his dog/reindeer. Must have seen it dozens of times as a child, and had it ingrained in my brain. Ah, pop culture.

I wondered who it was that sang "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch!", thinking it had a James Earl Jones sound, though of course it would have been far too early for that performer. The internet returned two bits of info that I hadn't realized: Boris Karloff narrated the program, and though many folks thought he also sang the tune (others thought Tennessee Ernie Ford did it),


in fact it was sung by a fellow who every single one of you has heard in many other instances: Thurl Ravenscroft (Wikipedia)

Also known as....

Tony the Tiger! (1952—2005)


He began as a doo-wop singer, forming a group known as the Mellomen:



via ehMac.ca https://ift.tt/2R5PPwv

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire