dimanche 31 décembre 2017

What Will You Do On New Years Eve?

I sense that NYE celebrations are changing over the years, just as my family's have.

When I was a kid in the 1950s New Years eve was an exciting night. Family always came over to our house, Mom's two single brothers, her mom and my dad's dad. We played cards and board games and went outside at midnight where neighbours gathered in the street to set off small firecrackers like pin wheels and sparklers you could hold in your hand and strings of firecrackers. The biggest display of all would come from the two Chinese families, one who ran a laundry at one end of the street and the other who owned the confectionary at the other end. Then it would be back inside for hot chocolate for us and rum toddies for the adults at which point we kids were shooed off to bed.

Then as I got married and began my own family, we would show up at my parents home to joint the festivities. We moved to a new city two years later and fell into the trap of the standard NYE everywhere it seemed in the 70s and 80s. Get a baby sitter and go out for a special meal and a dance at a local hotel or hall.

That nonsense ended in the 90s when we stopped going out and took the kid to the fireworks at midnight that had by then become a fixture in every place we lived. The kids were always excited to 'get to stay up til midnight' to watch the show and noise.

Then things changed again about 10 years ago when every city and town stopped the midnight fireworks shows as a new generation deemed it too late for kids to be up at midnight and now they set them off at 8:30 here and 9:00 in Edmonton. A big disappointment for the grandkids who are deprived of ushering in the new year.

It will once again be a quiet time tonight here. My wife, two sons and grandson will attend the Oilers NHL game at Rogers Place tonight courtesy of our daughter who made the tickets a Christmas gift to the four of them. The game begins at 5:00 so they can catch the fireworks downtown at 9:00 pm. I am not a hockey fan at all, so this does not bother me.

Me? I will be home alone with the dog having a couple of eggnogs while I watch TV celebrations in other parts of the world and likely in bed and asleep by 9:00 or so.

What are you up to tonight to celebrate 2018?


via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/2lwdCE7

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire