lundi 26 février 2018

The Tale Of My iPhone 8 Plus Issue

I bought a brand new unlocked iPhone 8 Plus back in October from Telus and have really enjoyed the extra real estate. It makes my tired old eyes much easier to cope with than the iPhone 6S I gave to my son, that I was using.

While I loved the form factor, the phone had some behaviours that were annoying to say the least.

About a month after getting the phone, it began to turn off unexpectedly while using it, without warning. It always started up again with a push of the power button but I sensed something was not quite right. I took it back to the Telus store and they told me I would have to take it back to Apple for diagnosis. I then restored the phone myself using iTunes

It seemed to work fine for a couple of months and I thought I had the issue beat, but once again it began to behave weird, this time by 'freezing', showing a white screen with the black Apple logo and becoming totally unresponsive. Now it would have to be plugged into my MBP and connected to iTunes and be restored to operate properly again.

In early January, I talked with Apple on the phone and they told me to take it in to have diagnostics run on it. A call to the west end Apple store left me with no appointment available for a week due to the holidays, so I took it to West World, an authorized Apple dealer I have dealt with occasionally since the 90s.

The owner himself greeted me, remembering me from back then. He immediately ran the diagnostic test Apple requested on the phone, which at the time had once again frozen and displayed the white screen with the black Apple logo.

The phone tested fine and he declared it to be a software issue and reinstalled the current iOS of the time. He told me he normally charged $35 for this but since I was an old friend, he was doing this at no charge.

Less than a week later, the same thing happened and it froze again with the same screen showing. This time the Southgate Apple store had an immediate appointment available with the Genius bar and I hopped in the car for the 20 km drive.

By the time I arrived the battery had gone from 100% to 50% in just two hours and it was very warm to the touch.

Once again the genius hooked up the phone to his computer and ran diagnostics and declared the phone fine. Not a hardware issue, he said and reinstalled the software. Again.

Then last Monday, it froze again and I got it restarted using iTunes. Tuesday it froze again and I phoned Apple who walked me through a forced shutdown and software reinstall. The tech I talked to, told me he had made me an appointment at the West Edmonton Apple store for Friday and that he had sent them an email to inspect the phone.

I arrived at the store at 11:00 a.m. and five minutes later an Apple guy dropped by and told me he was 'like a nurse seeing me before the doctor' and asked me to tell him what was going on with my phone.

I gave the guy a Reader's Digest version of the above and he picked up my phone, turned it on, handed it back to me and asked me to enter my passcode. I did and handed it back to him. He poked at the phone a few times and said, it's a hardware failure, we will replace the phone right now and told me an Apple Rep would be along soon to guide me through the process.

That happened and the phone has been working fine for a full week now.

I wondered at the time how anyone could tell it was a hardware issue so quickly and asked the first guy if he would mind explaining how he diagnosed the issue so fast. Sure, he said and showed me what he did.

He opened Settings>Privacy>Analytics>Analytics Data and scrolled down to the Monday/Tuesday freezes date I had told him about and found an entry that noted Panic Attacks on those two occasions. He told me that confirmed my story and told him the phone had a hardware issue. But, but I said, how come the two former diagnostics run by the Apple authorized store and the other Apple store Genius bar had shown the phone to be fine?

Oh that, he said and then, watch this, as he hooked the phone up to his diagnostics software and ran it through. It came up saying the phone was OK and it passed the test. See he said, some hardware failures can't be picked up by the test, but from experience I knew it was possible there was an issue when I saw those two Panic Attacks.

I posted this in case anyone else has had similar issues and would be helped by knowing how you can check for yourself and eliminate the whole lot of grief I went through, to get to the bottom of the issue. Apparently a Panic Attack indicates a hardware issue. Who knew?


via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/2CL2wBy

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire