vendredi 13 mai 2016

Late 2011 13" MBP i7 500gb Drive failing, need some advice

Hi everyone,

I am a PC person but I've been an iPhone and iPad owner for the last 6 years. A good friend of mine has a MPB that I'm trying to help her with, trying to help her keep the cost down, and I'm pretty confident in my abilities to do at least the replacement of the drive on my own, and swap the RAM at a later point.

But right now I know one thing, the HD is failing, quickly. I've been trying desperately to do any kind of backup, but it's just stalling like crazy, and I'm at my wit's end attempting to figure it out.

I phoned Simply and talked with them about options, and I was getting quotes of around $250+ to do ANYTHING at all, and that's with a 256gb SSD.

So my goal is to self resolve this badboy, but I want to know the best options of hardware to buy and also some way of getting that hard drive data safe and secure, she has a ton of photos of her kids on there that she certainly does not want lost.

I have the screwdriver tools to open the case, and it looks like I'll need a spudger - but that's all from a tool perspective I'll need.

From a hardware standpoint, I would REALLY like to replace the drive with an SSD or a hybrid, but I don't know where my best route to take would be.

I found a replacement SATA drive for $70 after shipping on amazon, but I'm pretty sure that's going to be a speed bottleneck.

Are there alternatives for a 500gb SSD? I don't know if there's space in between the 256 and 500, I know there used to be for SATA drives, but I've been out of it for a bit.

Are there any reasonably priced options available in Canada?

And the next, and bigger question, what would be the best solution to clone the drive? Would I need to buy an enclosure for the drive and work with that? If that's the only solution then I don't mind spending a few beans on a relatively inexpensive enclosure to clone it, but I'm also concerned with the HD failing if that's also going to fail. I've tried just copying her photos folder multiple times but it's been failing out on me a ton.

I'm sure there are other things that I need to know before I head down this path, but I just don't know them currently.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.


via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/1TLWUbg

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire