jeudi 8 septembre 2016

About the headphone jack or lack thereof

I think most people see this as classic Apple, eliminating a port (or drive) before anyone else, and before many people are ready for it.

So far, it has always worked out fine for both the company and the users despite plenty of initial whingeing.

This time, I wonder. The standard jack is convenient, simple, cheap and ubiquitous. It surely can't take up all that much internal space.

Instead of providing wireless ear buds, they're providing Lightning ones, so the "eliminating wires" philosophy isn't exactly front and centre. And some people will surely be peeved by not being able to charge and listen simultaneously. My own use case: most of my iPhone listening is done in the car, and my car does not have Bluetooth. So typically the phone is simultaneously charging and using an aux cable.

If I had an iPhone 7, I would need a dongle and (depending on the dongle) probably have to swap between charging and listening now and then. Not tragic, but less convenient than it is now.

And Apple's wireless ear buds... well there is zero chance I would ever buy them. I know I'm not the only one who has trouble keeping Apple's crappy-sounding buds in my ears, so these things in addition to almost certainly sounding lousy would get lost in a hurry, barring a third-party lanyard of some kind, which would largely defeat the purpose. I suspect a lot of people who actually want to roll with Bluetooth will be opting for third-party headphones or earbuds.

What do you think?

Is this Apple paving the way for the future again?

Or has Apple eliminated the headphone jack unnecessarily?


via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/2c8F4Tv

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire