mercredi 28 septembre 2016

Tech Support Scam - How to protect the elderly???

So I got a call from my grandad and found out he had just been on the phone for an hour with "Apple" as a result of getting "Locked Out" of his computer. They tried to extort $700-$800 for an annual support plan or something but sounds like he didn't go for it.

My first instinct was to get the computer OFF because who knows what sort of remote access they could have going on. There was an app called LogMeIn Rescue that was preventing shut down so I guided him to force quit that and then shut down the computer until it could be taken to the Apple Store (or myself). I tried to get the number he called but he couldn't find it.

It's difficult to deal with this over the phone because he doesn't remember the last 30 seconds very well let alone the last hour. I have no idea what they were doing during this hour long phone call. Was it all just discussing support plans and payment options with the goal of extorting $700 or were they digging around in his computer or convincing him to reveal passwords, etc? He's already called his bank to get his accounts frozen.

How do we protect our elderly from these threats???


via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/2dAP8VN

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire