lundi 12 septembre 2016

Wiping An Non-mountable Hard Drive Clean

I have an early 2008, 24 inch iMac, and the internal hard drive appears to have died. Yesterday morning when started up, the HD was doing the ‘Clicking Dance’, and once the desktop appeared, everything was dead slow.

I did manage to get two EtreCheck statements.

The first one, Report generated 2016-09-11 10:00:41:
Hitachi HDS721010KLA330 disk0 : (1 TB) (Rotational)
EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB
Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / : 983.21 GB (910.62 GB free) - 2 errors
Drive failure!

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB
eDrive (disk0s4) /Volumes/eDrive : 16.00 GB (7.24 GB free)

And the other soon after, Report generated 2016-09-11 10:07:04:
Hitachi HDS721010KLA330 disk0 : (1 TB) (Rotational)
EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB
Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / : 983.21 GB (911.33 GB free)
Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB
eDrive (disk0s4) /Volumes/eDrive : 16.00 GB (7.24 GB free)


From there things went downhill. I restarted with a copy of TechTool on a thumb drive, and soon realised that the Mac’s HD wasn’t mounting.

I just tried the discs that came with the Mac, Utility didn’t see the Mac’s HD, ditto for the Installer. Also tried to use the Apple Hardware Test, holding down the D key on start up. Both times the disc self ejected, and the folder with the question mark showed. And lots of soft clicking sounds.

Since the Mac is too old to pay someone to replace the hard drive, too involved to replace myself, and had a heating issue, I will donate it to the Personal Computer Museum here in Brantford, The Personal Computer Museum, Brantford, Ontario, CANADA - Recycle, donate, and browse your old computers, electronics, video games, and software. I’ve already donated four computers to the museum, five if the eMac that I gave to my niece some years ago, and soon realised that she’d prefer a modern laptop. Of the four computers that I donated, three were operational Macs and I used software to nuke the internal hard drives. The fourth computer was an operational Dell laptop, and I deleted as much info as I could. I trust Syd, but I still would like to wipe the hard drive clean if reasonably possible. But if it won’t mount, what should I do?

And if my concerns are totally weightless, please kindly advise as such.


via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/2cqL34P

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire