jeudi 7 avril 2016

HP Laserjet 1000 and OS X (10.9.5 at least...)

Hey folks,

In my office I've never needed a printer, but with new job responsibilities recently added, it's become an occasional necessity. Rather than waste resources, I hit up our tech person to see what they might have laying around.

In our storage room we found three old HP LaserJet 1000 USB-only printers. Score!

Brought the one down that seemed to have the most toner in the cartridge and plugged it into my iMac. No drivers available under 10.9. So I set off on an internet excursion to see what the chances are that this could be brought back to life.

It took damn near an entire day of messing around in terminal and downloading drivers. I used the very helpful guide put together by Christopher Whalen. But by the end of working hours yesterday, I could see the printer, add it as my default printer, but upon sending data to it, it gave me either "Cannot send data to the printer" or "Printer Not Connected" errors.

I gave up and went home, determined to start again today.

So for the past 90 minutes or so I've been going through the steps from yesterday, confirming that all is where it should be, and trying to figure this out. I also stumbled across a link to the HP 3.1 Printer Drivers in an Apple Support forum and downloaded those (another half-gig).

Before I could get the new drivers installed, though, I had an idea... this old LaserJet model doesn't even have a power button - just a power cord and it's always-on. So I power-cycled the printer, and... the damn thing works! That step was left out of Christopher's guide.

So - I'm currently printing. I've saved the HP drivers just in case, but haven't installed 'em.

Posted for anyone else who may run into this situation and not want to have to buy a new printer.


via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/1PWsNvC

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire