jeudi 25 juillet 2013

Smart locks... fad or future?

I just saw the spam post about the Kreyos smart watch and it made me think of my purchases... I funded the Agent smart watch, the Scout alarm and more recently, the Goji smart lock.



I'm fascinated by interconnected technology. I have been since this "internet of things" started gaining popularity 7 or 8 years ago. I owned an original Nabaztag among other devices. I think we're at a point in technology now, thanks to the advancements in mobile (with NFC, bluetooth, and the proliferation of connected devices people have on them all the time), that these "things" are now finally ready for primetime.



The Goji in particular seems like a clever implementation. See here if you want all the details: Goji Smart Lock | Indiegogo . But the basic idea is that, using Bluetooth, the door senses when you are approaching. It greets you and unlocks the door for you. No keys, no swiping, nothing. Just walk up to the door and you're good. On top of that, they've created the concept of "temporary keys"; Essentially, if I'm away and want a friend to come water the plants, I can text them a "key" that is only valid for the next 2 hours. They walk up to the door, it takes a picture of them (for my verification) and opens the door for them. If they try and access the house after the 2 hours are up, it denies access and doesn't unlock the door. Combine that with timers (lock the door every night at 10pm) and IFTTT integration (when I arrive, turn on the hallway lights and stereo) and the possibilities are endless.



So, my question is this: Am I just a super geek for backing something like this, or is this the future of smart connected homes? Would you buy a Goji (or similar device)?



A7





via ehMac.ca http://www.ehmac.ca/showthread.php?t=107505&goto=newpost

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire