mardi 29 septembre 2015

Migration Assistant~am I doing this wrong?

Hey guys/gals~I'm 100% new to this forum...but am glad to be here! I'm afraid with my experience level, there will be more taking than giving in the short term...so please be patient. lol With my username in mind...I have a few questions and am hoping someone can help. I'm not computer savvy in any way/shape/form so please don't hesitate to dumb-down the language in your replies. I won't be offended.

So I've owned an iMac 10.5.8 for about 7 years (bought new) and recently...it's really started having issues I can't explain. Specifically, outgoing mail server with Mac mail. In spite of numerous calls to my ISP (the biggest in Canada) everything looks good...and I can email from within their server with no issues. Mine works about 1/3 of the time...with no explanation as to why it doesn't the rest of the time.

So...

I recently had a chance to buy an unused, iMac 10.6.2 from a family member and I thought "simple"...I'll hook them up via FireWire...start the old computer holding down "T" and a few hours later....turning on the "new" computer will be like looking at the old one. Went into Migration Assistant, got it rolling...estimated time to completion~3 hours. No problem. I go back 3 hours later, it says 6 hours. Just before calling it a day, I check again...it says 11 hours. This morning, it says 15 hours so I pulled the plug on the whole thing. No change on the progress bar. Should I have left it? The changing ETA had me convinced something wasn't working the way it should. I've used this method to transfer everything from an ancient (dying) eMac to my 10.5.8 about 7 years ago with no issues. Just doesn't seem to be taking this time. Am I missing something? Not understanding Migration Assistant fundamentally?

Last component to the question....if the outgoing mail server issue is a bug of some kind...is bringing everything over to the newer machine likely to just bring that problem along with it?

Thanks for taking a moment to reply...I need all the help I can get!


via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/1MXZsVX

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire