lundi 28 septembre 2015

Serious SATA/logic board problem on late 2011 MacBook?

I initially had the OEM hard drive on a late 2011 MacBook start to fail. Chrome would not load a tab without the Oops error, and Disk Utility would tell me it's an irreparable error. Which got me to buy a Kingston V300 SSD drive, along with a WD Black 750gb drive.
My intention was to install the SSD in the main bay, and the WD drive in the optical bay using a caddy.

So I start to have trouble with the WD conventional drive in the optical bay. I can connect this hard drive externally via an enclosure and a USB connection. I can put the SuperDrive back in and it works.

But with the new hard drive and caddy in the optical bay, the drive doesn't get recognized properly without triggering the spinning wheel and hanging. And I can't get Disk Utility to format it properly without error message. Does this all point to a faulty hard drive caddy? I figured if it was a problem with the SATA connector, it wouldn't allow me to re-install and use the original SuperDrive, right? And if the hard drive was faulty, I wouldn't be able to connect it externally via USB?

I inspect the optical bay SATA connector and it looks ok ( Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet ) so decided to return the caddy and exchange for a new one.

While I manage to get the new SSD going by installing OS X Mountain Lion and restoring from an external Time Machine drive, I start getting the same "Aw Snap" Chrome errors I had with the OEM hard drive in the first place.

I ran "fsck -fy" from single user mode and it seemed to fix this. But the Chrome errors returned, and I tried running fsck -fy again. But this time unsuccessfully. ( Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet )

Even with the Chrome errors, I had been able to start up OS X. But after the unsuccessful attempt to run fsck -fy, it would get to the Apple logo start up screen with a progress bar and then shutdown. ( Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet )

I tried to take the SSD out to see if it's the SATA connection from the main bay, put it in an enclosure. But that produced a double panic error message? http://ift.tt/1O47BbQ

Stranger still, I had previously put the OEM hard drive in the optical bay caddy to try to troubleshoot my problems there. And just for fun, I tried starting up from the Windows 7 partition of that drive which somehow started up as an install of Windows Vista.
I'm seriously at a loss. What's causing all this? Logic board? Main drive bay SATA?

Would appreciate any direction I can get.


via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/1iFvKI8

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire