vendredi 12 septembre 2014

The Ottawa Linux Symposium

Hi folks,



Hello to those who remember me from years ago.



I haven't posted here lately. I guess I had a Mac phase a few years ago and I'm not currently an OS X or iOS user. I am typing this on my 27" iMac which is running Linux Mint, in Firefox. Many of you are probably using Firefox or some sort of open source software, like Darwin, the microkernel on which Mac OS X is based, which is what drew me into the Mac fold in the first place, or The Gimp (shamer of Photoshop piraters everywhere).



TL;DR? Cool T-Shirts here!



These open source projects are attractive to me because anyone can pick up the torch and maintain them in perpetuity in whatever form they wish.



In 2007 I visited the Ottawa Linux Symposium as a developer and user of the Linux kernel and U-Boot. It is a wonderful event, and I think huge numbers of open source community members come away feeling energized and with new connections, ideas and missions. And look at the papers that were written.



Here's where I get to the part about asking you for money.



What? The cheek of it!



... Please keep reading! This symposium was a good thing the community had going, but the 2009 dip hit the organization hard, and the chief organizer ended up having to expend considerable personal resources to try to keep the thing going.



Think about that. Linux is also created by huge corporations such as Google and hardware companies such as semiconductor companies (I used to work for one, Freescale). But the long term survival of this Free Software idea depends on a community of individual volunteers with immense talent. This community is important, and we cannot depend on corporations to value that side of it.



Take a look at the situation on the Indiegogo campaign for the Ottawa Linux Symposium here, and join me in supporting their effort to get back on track.

http://ift.tt/1CZIuiN



Go now! There are only a few days left in the campaign.



--

Michael Barker

Software Engineer

Richmond Hill, Ontario





via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/1CZIuiP

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire