dimanche 20 avril 2014

Cell phone transmission - in 25 words or less

I seem to be the go-to person for any telco related questions. Usually I can fabricate an answer that satisfies the inquirer and doesn't make me look stupid. But this basic question has me befuddled.



My cell phone is registered with carrier XXX, so when I dial a number, it seeks a tower that's on the XXX network. Then the tower feeds the call to switching equipment and locates the called number on a landline switch or a cell switch and once all the switching is done, the call goes through. (I'm a retired computer programmer, so I think I understand how the switches work)



Here's where it gets murky. A guy asked me how a cell call gets from here to say Toronto. He believes it goes by satellite. Does it? It's been a while since I even thought about it. I still remember when microwave towers were a "new" thing and there was a transatlantic cable.





via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/Pjj1Md

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire