mercredi 8 juillet 2015

Whole Home Surge Protection

At the end of june my house was hit with a surge that fired / ripped through my Network Cabinet.

Basically after reading about why it chose the cabinet rather than any other point in my house the math makes sense.

I have an AC outlet that is right beside my panel, which means the total length of electric cord the surge had to go through was 7 inches - meaning electricity always looks for the shortest distance to ground..

albeit, i had 4 UPS units connected to my outlet with my network evenly spread across for balanced load - it tore through my UPS units and fired most of my network components.

I won't get into details as what as damaged but I did call the manufactures of the various units, they immediately without hesitation - replaced all the affected UPS units with brand new models no questions asked..
As for my damaged equipment- i am dealing with the 'warranty' programs they offer.
[that will be another post when completed. ]

now after many weeks of beating my brain over what i thought was protection i have decided to go buy this at home depot

Surgetrap | Eaton Electrical surgetrap Whole Home Surge Protector | Home Depot Canada

I will install in at the hight point in my panel with shortest/least amount of wiring needed to patch it in. The idea behind it- it will cover your whole home in future.. it is a Type 2 surge protection meaning covers inside protection - there is type 1 which covers a hit greater hit but 'before' it comes in the house - but that is beyond my grasp of dealing with that connection. so this will have to do.

I do have to say, since the Liberals have been in power, more so over the last 3 years our electric system in the province is gone to pooh in a quick way.. my next project is installing a inverter - so that we can use our car as a generator - seems like an easy project if you know what you are doing.


via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/1HMLwwc

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire