mardi 31 janvier 2017

Can't connect to WiFi on Via Rail

Lately I often have difficulty connecting to WiFi on Via Rail in the train.

Well - more than difficulty - I just can't connect.
Signal strength is OK, I see the Via Rail ntwork, it's selected but the Mac just won't connect although I see others in the car using WiFi.

Anyone else have this issue?
Any suggestions what to do or check?

I came across this on the net - don't know if that would work but my Mac users don't have enough technical knowledge to remove all the DNS entries and then put them back again.
Seems odd to me as well that this is the issue.

Quote:

You may find that your Mac or PC has trouble connecting to the Via Rail wifi network. The free service requires that you login and accept the terms of use on an internal web page. However you may not be able to load this web page – if you have your DNS servers hard coded (entered by hand) to something like Google’s DNS servers.

The preferred way to connect on these “guest” networks is to leave the DNS entry blank. When you connect to the service the internal network server will supply the DNS that allows your computer to find the web page, where you can accept the terms.

This DNS snafu may also apply on a guest network at a hotel or coffee shop. On My Mac, I made a new location called “ViaRail WiFi” and left the DNS empty. When I get back to my home/office network, I will switch it back to my own preferred settings.


via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/2kLbrem

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire