jeudi 26 janvier 2017

Need advice - dying iMac HD

Hi Gang,

It was bound to happen someday; the HDD in my Mid 2011 20" iMac is setting out a slew of SMART errors. It's on its way out any day now. The way I see it I have two options.

1) Replace the HDD, with another HDD, an SSHD, and SSD or a combo of SSD and HHD. I don't have the tools or eyesight to do the repair work myself. So it's likely I'd be looking at $300+ to keep this puppy running.

2) Sell (noting the drive needs to be replaced) and replace with new equipment.

On 1, as much as I love this machine and the only thing wrong with it is the HDD, it's getting a little long in the tooth. I suspect it will fall off of the supported product list next year if not sooner. So in one way I'm loathed to invest more money in soon to be obsolete hardware.

On the other hand, Apple hasn't refreshed iMacs in a while and I'm not at all interested in the new MacBook lineup. I find spending full price on two year old hardware a little hard to swallow. Not keen on (but considering) getting used hardware.

In my shoes, which option would you pick? If I were to sell, it's a stock 20" iMac with 24GB RAM, but I don't know what a fair price to ask would be given the hard drive (And, it probably needs a good de-dust-bunnying!)


via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/2jV8pnU

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire