mercredi 22 octobre 2014

Need help installing Linux Mint on Core Duo White MacBook

I have a very old White MacBook Core Duo 1.83 with 2 Gigs RAM and 500 Gigs HDD, currently maxed out at Snow Leopard. I want to install Linux Mint on it.



I downloaded Linux Mint iso, but since I don't have any DC-Rs or DVD-Rs, I tried finding ways to make an external 1 TB USB HDD a bootable Linux drive.



After a long search I finally found a software to do just that.



I did all of the above in my 2014 iMac running Yosemite.



Now, I plug in the USB drive to my White MacBook, hit Restart with the Option key pressed. I do see the external USB drive in the available boot drives, I select it.



The screen goes White for a very long time, then I get the folder icon with the question mark inside of it; and then I get the Apple logo and the system boots back into Snow Leopard.



So, what I would like to know is:


  1. Is a 1 TB external drive too much for the ancient Core Duo MacBook to boot from?

  2. Was there something wrong in creating the "bootable" USB drive, meaning, is it not actually bootable?

  3. Am I trying something that's not possible?




Yeah, I know I can buy a DVD-R disc and burn the ISO image onto that and make that bootable, but that's my last resort since I have to drive a bit to buy DVD-Rs.



Thanks and cheers





via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/ZGgYHi

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire