mercredi 20 mai 2015

An easy restore!

Every once in a long while my old school approach pays big dividends.

Yesterday the local ISP went down so I shut down the computer for a couple of hours came back and no boot just an endlessly spinning dial against a grey screen. Booted from the secondary HD and ran some tests. OS partition could not be repaired. I keep data on a secondary partition. Made sure that was double backed, backed the user profiles which thankfully I could still read.

Went ahead and zeroed out the OS partition, just to be sure that bad blocks were not an issue. Then did a terminal asr from an older disk image from September of last year. I use Super Duper to create uncompressed disk images rather than clones, Since only the OS and apps exist on the OS Volume they are reasonably compact and this gives me the option of going back to a known good version of the OS. It also allows me to store several disk images without creating a whack of disk partitions.

Once I gave up on recovery. Total restore time was under half an hour including the fifteen minutes it took to zero the partition. Had to update FireFox and Flash Player and a couple of other apps once the internet was back-up. Once everything is thoroughly tested it will take another hour or so to create and test a new disk image. But that can be done at my leisure.

New HD will soon be on order. This is an older MacPro which I bought used from MacDoc. I have no idea of the HD history, so $110 for a new drive seems like a worthwhile investment at this stage.


via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/1ScYmpL

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire