dimanche 15 septembre 2013

Mac security and privacy

How can a new MacBook Air 11" be set up so that it does not pass on any information to Apple or anyone else, except for information that we specifically want to send?



Some while ago I asked on here who was our iMac sending information to. Various members suggested some apps to check on this. I appreciate their responses. However thanks to the disclosures of various whistle blowers readers will be aware that Apple and other computer, internet and telcom companies are agents of the NSA and GCHQ. The disclosures indicate that normal anti-virus software and similar apps cannot detect this spying. I presume this applies to the apps suggested as answers to my previous query.



How can ordinary people retain computer and online privacy? A search came up with some suggestions:



How do I secure my Mac? This is one example from this forum. It provides general advice that will work against casual snoops but will probably be ineffective against major spy agencies, both government and criminal.



http://www.nsa.gov/ia/_files/factshe...ening_tips.pdf From the NSA itself. It seems logical that the NSA's advice is general advice that will not secure any computers against the NSA and its agencies and cronies, and similar operators.



Neither addresses any built-in spy features of OSX. What has Apple put in OSX that will facilitate breaches of privacy? Are there hidden backdoors, automatic telltales and other means to pass information to snoops?



I recently had an interesting experience. I have been considering buying a MacBook Air 11" for my wife. I checked prices in Canada, both at Apple stores and at resellers. I checked prices at Apple stores in the USA. All queries worked as expected. I then decided to check the prices at Apple resellers in the adjoining state. I clicked on the link for resellers and a form page came up. I inserted the Zip code for the nearest city in the adjoining state and hit return. It came up with the same blank form. I tried again but this time it came up with some resellers in Scotland. I twice tried the process again starting at the beginning of Apple.com putting in the names of two cities in this state along with the state's name but the same happened. In each case I should have received a list of resellers in the state but instead received reseller information for the UK although I did not supply any information connected with the UK. It seems something was sent to Apple either then or in the past that indicates that I might have some connection with the UK and that overrode my normal input to the resellers form. What else is Apple stealing from our iMac, storing about us and who is it passing it to? Has anyone analysed OSX to find out exactly what is included in it and what it does without a user's input?



How can a new MacBook Air be set up so that it does not pass on any information to Apple or anyone else, except for information that we specifically want to send?



If it cannot, then what alternative computer and OS to a MacBook Air 11" using OSX would readers suggest we obtain?





via ehMac.ca http://www.ehmac.ca/showthread.php?t=110041&goto=newpost

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire