mercredi 18 septembre 2013

NAS concepts

I rarely watch TV, and do most of my watching online. As a result, I've got a huge library of videos from YouTube, iPlayer etc. Everything that comes in gets converted, if necessary, and added to iTunes. (isn't iPlayer Automator fantastic?)



Since we have 2 MBP's, 2 iPads and 2 iPhones, I've been looking at NAS devices and have just splurged on a DLink DNS 325 that I've populated with WD Red discs. I think that will allow all users easy access to programmes and should make it easier for SWMBO to watch her "Lewis" or "Morse" mysteries.



So here's my question - its more of a concept question than anything else.

Do I take it that what I should do is to name a volume on the iTunes server in the DNS 325 - basically, this will just tell it where to store the media files on the NAS?



Next, do I then copy all of the media files into that location on the NAS?



Finally, do I then go into iTunes Advanced settings and change the iTunes Media Location to the volume on the NAS?

When I read the User Manual, it seems very confusing - but I wonder if it isn't just as the same idea as plugging an external drive into an Airport Extreme and using that for media - the only benefit of the NAS is that it is easier for all users to get to.



Can anybody offer any help?



Thanks



Walt





via ehMac.ca http://www.ehmac.ca/showthread.php?t=110265&goto=newpost

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire