samedi 24 août 2013

"Safety" Glass?

I just finished cleaning up after a shocking explosion of safety glass from my 1 year old Kitchen Aid refrigerator and thought I would share the story as a warning to others.



The piece of glass was about 30” x 15” and 1/8” thick. I had removed it from the fridge to clean with soap and water in the kitchen sink. Yes, I had let it come to room temperature before putting any water on it, and was careful not to scratch or bump it.



Regardless, after rinsing I lifted it by the sides and was about to dry it when it exploded in my hands, military ordinance style, spraying chunks and shards of safety glass as far as 17 feet. It might have gone further, but there was a wall at the 17th foot mark.



I had bare arms and legs at the time and I have so far counted 7 cuts and nicks from flying glass. My clothes were full of glass. Not only did it make a loud bang when it exploded, it flew with surprising force. During clean-up, I found one shard-like piece lodged through the shell of an egg in a slightly open carton of eggs (about a foot from ground zero).



Luckily the resident teen was in residence to rescue me, barefooted and bleeding, from a wide sea of glass. Holy S**t.



I’ve learned my lesson. I’m not exactly sure why it happened, but guess that it was just the fact that I lifted it near each end and not having a third hand, did not support it in the middle. Even though it didn’t seem to be curving, it must have been greatly stressed to explode with that kind of energy.



I may get a piece of plexi-glass to replace the glass bomb instead of replacing it in-kind. If I replace it in-kind, I’ll clean it in place next time....very, very carefully.







Attachment 32914




Attached Images





File Type: jpg Glass egg.jpg (1.19 MB)







via ehMac.ca http://www.ehmac.ca/showthread.php?t=108914&goto=newpost

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire