mercredi 29 janvier 2014

Controlling data usage on a wifi ipad?

I think I've found a limitation (though likely well known and probably serves a purpose) in Apple's ios regarding controlling data usage on a wi-fi ipad. Am I correct that there is no real way to control what apps can use data, similar to the way you can customize on an iphone?



Here's what I'm trying to explore. I typically use my iphone 5S's Personal Hotspot feature to tether my wi-fi ipad. This was worked for me for years with various iphones with no real need to buy a celluar version ipad.



I'm heading out of country in the near future and will be on a fixed travel data plan on my iphone. It's fairly easy to limit your data usage on the iphone but was planning to also taking my ipad and thought I'd tether it from time to time. (It would be great to be able to set up a "travel profile" that would make all the needed tweeks at one time for those occassions where you require). I'm concerned about all of the background updates, etc., that happen when my ipad connects to my personal hotspot wifi. It seems (correct me if I'm wrong) it's either all or nothing - airplane mode or normal?



I'm aware that I can try to find other wifi options, etc. Also, there are probably third party apps that allow me to at least see what is using my data? I'm just making sure that I haven't missed an option within the ios that would allow me to use my ipad regularly, but mindful of my data usage.



Thanks.





via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/1ibXNtI

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire