lundi 6 avril 2015

Yosemite; does it fix the Mavericks issues?

I made a big jump from 10.5 (Quad G5) to Mavericks on a new Mac Mini. Mavericks introduced a number of challenges:




  • No PPC emulation; easy enough to fix with software upgrades (in and of itself a huge and expensive undertaking, buying new versions of Photoshop, Expression Media Pro, etc).

  • One of my key tools, Expression Media Pro, is not supported in Mavericks, so now have to use an older, unsupported version

  • No more displays in the menubar

  • No more firewire (well, it was time to get with the times)

  • Mavericks has a number of bugs, the most recent that i have noticed being How to fix the Finder name column width bug in OSX Mavericks - Christian Varga

  • My trusty monitor calibrator, Spyder2 pro no longer works -- need to upgrade!


Bugs not withstanding, they are a minor annoyance; the ability to use newer tech (Thunderbolt, SATA, generally faster machine, etc). was worth the upgrade.





Yosemite is now on the next point release. Other than a fancier new GUI, are there any real functional reasons to upgrade? Does it fix many of the annoying bugs in Mavericks? My concerns stem from posts such as










(I've read through Do I want Yosemite? but other than a threadjack on providers, a debate on upgrading, and "try it out", I could not identify substantial comments)





For reference (compatibility, usability, etc).




  • Mac Mini (2.3GHz i7, 10GB RAM)

  • No iCloud (I use Dropbox) -- I understand the "continuity" may not work without iCloud, that's fine

  • The only other Apple product is a iPad Mini (first gen)






Key apps I use:


  • Mail

  • Firefox

  • Photoshop (CS6)

  • Expression Media (Version 2; Version 3 is too buggy and not supported under Mavericks)

  • PhotoMechanic

  • Eclipse (c++)

  • Parallels (Win7)


Comments, welcome, thanks!





via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/1JgxPSP

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire