lundi 3 novembre 2014

Writing to encrypted USB drives is really slow

In the process of setting up my new Mac Mini server, I'm putting in place external storage on USB 3.0 drives. To date, I've connected two drives:



-A Seagate Expansion 4TB USB 3.0

-A MediaSonic ProRaid with 4x3TB (Hardware Raid5) using an eSata to USB3 adapter to connect to the Mini



In both cases, the performance is significantly higher when formatted in HFS+ compared to HFS+ Encrypted.



In the case of the Seagate, write performance decreases from around 95 MB/s to 45 MB/s. In the case of the ProRaid, performance decreases from 180 MB/s to 17 MB/s. Both internal drives in the mini are encrypted, and show no performance decrease.



I've also noticed that the reads in/sec and writes out/sec are about 8 times higher for the same file transfer to/from an encrypted drive vs. the same drive without encryption. I have to wonder if it's the USB driver that balks at FileVault.



I'm trying to be more security conscious in this day and age, so my plan was to encrypt any external drive with a random 20-character key, store it in the server's keychain and not record it anywhere else. That way, the drive will only work on that specific Mac should it ever be stolen or compromised. (Yes, that's a bit paranoid). I don't think I can work with a drive that slow though.



I'm running a fresh install of Yosemite.





via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/1x0PI3u

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire