vendredi 14 novembre 2014

iMac Macintosh HD disappearing

Hey folks,



A few weeks ago I came home to find my 2007 vintage aluminum 20" Intel iMac, now running OS 10.9.5 booted up into what I believe is the recovery partition. It was asking for discovery of a mouse. Once past that it moved in to a choice of recovery from backup, re installation or disk utility.



I tried disk utility but all it could see was my 2 backup drives; time machine and carbon copy clone. It also said it could see "disk 2" with a single partition, the recovery partition. No Macintosh HD.



I rebooted into the Carbon Copy Clone and retried Disk Utility. Same thing. I did not have time to deal with it at the time, so I kept booting from the CCC for the next couple days. I then retried DU. This time it saw the drive. I tried verify but it could not complete. I tried repair but it said it could not fix it, so I erased it and copied the clone back to that drive.



It ran fine for about a week. Now today I come home to the same thing. The Mac HD is gone. I boot from CCC and verify. The most recent CCC backup worked last night because I can see a document I created last night on the CCC drive. In DU, I can see the recovery partition but not the Mac HD. For kicks I shut it down and unplug it. I get back to it about an hour. I started it up pressing the option key. This time I see 5 drives. Mac HD, & recovery on the internal HD, and Time Machine, CCC and Recovery from my external. I boot with Mac HD and verify it in DU. It says Mac HD if fine.



So is this a physical HD problem or software? I have not installed anything new recently. I have a new HD and tools ready to go to instal a new HD but would rather not if I don't have to.



Any insights you can provide would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.



P.S. The first time around, I recovered from Time Machine first but I found a bunch of stuff, like Firefox, had lost their custom settings. I then recovered from the CCC drive. Much better recovery. Exactly as I left it the night before.





via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/1umiNG8

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire