vendredi 19 décembre 2014

Rogers 250 Mbps - only 25 Mbps straight to iMac (wired) but works with xbox one

Hi everyone, here's the story: I recently went from 75 Mbps on an old Rogers plan to 250 Mbs on a new one. In doing this I had to exchange my old modem for a new one. After getting everything set up I noticed it seemed slower instead of faster, so ran some tests. Yup, slower! Here are my strange results:



1. From modem to older Airport Extreme to iMac, all wired - 60 Mbps (the original setup)



2. From modem straight to iMac, wired - 25 Mbps (what? slower?!?!)



3. From modem straight to XBox One, wired - 300 Mbps (!)



I've also tried some wi-fi tests with the iMac, iPad Air, etc - all around 25 Mbps. Uploads for all tests, wired and wireless, were about the same - 10 Mbps. Also, I did these tests more than once, on different days, to rule out fluke or coincidental variables.



From the xbox test I know that the connection is there - I really am getting the 250. I find it very strange that going through an old airport extreme makes it faster.



I called Rogers (prior to the xbox test) - and the guy tried some stuff for several minutes, ended up telling me that there was going to be a firmware update for the modem that coincidentally was going to happen that night, something about known issues with certain network cards, etc... Of course today there is no change in performance. i could tell he was lying.



Anyone have any clues what is going on, or how to fix it? Other tests to try? All suggestions appreciated! Thanks.



PS - it's a mid 2011 iMac





via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/13lsWYS

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire