vendredi 27 février 2015

Question: Options To Upgrade My 2014 Mac Mini

A year ago now, I bought a brand new Mac Mini and it likely hasn't got 10 hours use on it. Why? Because I find it so incredibly slow compared to using my rMBP. I bought it to serve as a back up in case my rMBP ever failed or was in for repairs for a length of time. I wanted to clone the rMBP to the Mini and have matching computers so to speak.



The mini is 2.5GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400.



I have read that one can run Yosemite on an external SSD to improve performance and that brings me to several questions.



Could I run the OS on an external SSD and use the resident 500 GB HD as storage and would there be a speed increase?



But if I could, how would one 'clone' the data on my rMBP daily to keep it matching the mini? Seems to me with the OS missing from the resident drive that could complicate things.



Or would I be better off to swap the resident drive with a small SSD and use the resident drive as data storage on an external USB 3 enclosure? If so, is this something I could do myself or is it too complicated?



Again, I see no easy way to clone the rMBP to the mini daily to keep them matching, or could that external HD be a clone of the rMBP including the OS to easily match them without affecting the performance of the Mini?



Or do I just put up with the slow speed and write this whole thing off as a bad idea?



Thanks for any suggestions that might be out there that I am not aware of that could improve my Mini's performance and allow me to essentially run twin machines.





via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/17EwYxM

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire