samedi 8 novembre 2014

Mac mini: 2012 i7 vs 2014 i5

I'm considering replacing my 2011 mini with a new model. My local Future Shop has an open box 2012 mini, 2.3 ghz i7, 4 mb RAM, 1TB drive available for $700. The question is whether I would be better off with that or the purchase of a new mid-level mini with a fusion drive (2.6 ghz i5, 8 gb RAM, 1 TB fusion). The cost of the latter is $909, so $200 more than the older i7, but with more RAM. If I bought the older model I could upgrade the RAM, if necessary, to 8 gb for less than $100. I already have an SSD I could install in it, and I could even use the double drive sled that's in my 2011 mini. I don't use the mini for anything taxing; a mix of email, web, office apps and occasional watching of videos and listening to music, and I rarely have more than 3-4 apps open at the same time.



What's driving my interest is the quad core i7, which I have never had, and which I know isn't made anymore on the new minis. It would also be nice to continue to have the ability to upgrade RAM, but I'm pretty certain that if I bought the new mini with 8 gb, I would be unlikely to need more for a long time, if ever.



FS has the 2012 model set up as a demo, and noticed that basic functions on it are so much faster on than on the brand new iMac next to it with the same 5400 rpm drive. Is this the i7's doing?





via ehMac.ca http://ift.tt/1tqHwn7

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire